Our personal injury lawyers in Van Nuys focus specifically on cases related to accidents and injuries caused by the negligence or wrongdoing of another party. They can analyze your situation to assess whether someone else failed to fulfill their legal responsibility and whether this negligence played a direct role in causing the injuries you suffered. You can benefit from full legal representation from our Los Angeles personal injury attorneys team.
Table of Contents
Common examples of personal injury cases
Generally, our Van Nuys personal injury attorneys handle these common cases:
- car accidents, a leading cause of accidental injuries in the Los Angeles region;
- motorcycle accidents, in which the bikers can be unfairly held responsible;
- truck accidents, which pose a severe injury risk due to their size;
- slip and fall, where there are regulations in place to hold property owners and businesses accountable for maintaining a safe environment for their guests;
- medical malpractice, in which case the medical provider is liable for patient harm due to substandard care;
- wrongful death, a devastating case in which our personal injury attorneys in LA can provide support.
Our services expand to other personal injury cases as well, such as birth injury, drunk driving, or bike accidents. You can contact us anytime if you need more information about any particular situation.
Damages in personal injury cases
You can obtain three types of damages after a personal injury case in California. Our personal injury lawyers in Van Nuys will highlight them for you:
- Economical damages represent the financial losses resulting from the accident (medical expenses, lost earnings, property damage, etc.);
- Non-economic damages compensate for consequences that are challenging to quantify (pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of consortium);
- Punitive damages are rare cases when the wrongdoers are penalized for their reckless and intentional behavior.
In most personal injury cases, California state law does not impose a cap on the amount of compensatory damages that can be awarded. Medical malpractice cases have a specific exception, for non-economic damages. As of January 1, 2023, the cap for non-fatality cases is $350,000 and in wrongful death cases, the cap is $500,000.
Our personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles strive to maximize the value of our client’s claims.
How can a personal injury lawyer in LA help?
Hiring a Van Nuys personal injury attorney can offer several benefits when you’re dealing with an accident or injury case. Our team can analyze your case and provide an honest evaluation of its strengths and weaknesses, to understand the potential outcomes. We also understand evidence is important in such cases and we can collect medical records, accident reports, witness statements, and expert opinions.
California follows a pure comparative negligence standard, which means you can still receive compensation even if you share some fault for the accident. Your financial award may be reduced based on the percentage of fault assigned to you. Our team can help you find the proper outcome in this situation.
Additionally, hiring a personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles might be beneficial, especially considering these statistics:
- The number of California traffic fatalities increased from 3,980 in 2020 to 4,285 in 2021, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety;
- There was a 3% rise in motorcycle fatalities, going up from 549 in 2020 to 565 in 2021;
- The number of pedestrian fatalities saw a 9.4% increase, going up from 1,013 in 2020 to 1,108 in 2021.
Contact our Van Nuys personal injury attorneys right now to seek fair justice and legal representation in your personal injury case.